Friday, October 28, 2005

Real Politik is an abject failure and immoral

The Real Politik philosophy and foreign policy is not only a proven failure it is morally wrong and un-American. Yes I said it.

Krauthammer is right on the money. Scowcroft and his ilk (Kissinger comes to mind) went adrift somewhere during the cold war. They called it a necessary evil to consort with and support dictators and despots. They claimed we could not fight every battle at once and if we didn’t support them the Soviets would. Maybe they were right. Well the Soviet Union is long gone, so should be the real politik policies that spawned Al Qaeda, Wahabism, The house of Saud, and condemned more than a billion people to be ruled over by all sorts of heinous regimes.

Some have described the Neo-Cons as Liberals with guns. Well that’s me. I voted for Bush in 2004 (I voted for gore in 2000.) not only because I believed he would defend this country vigorously , but because when he talked about bringing democracy to the greater middle east and ending tyranny it gave me chills and tears of pride ran down my cheeks. He was talking about the America I grew up loving and believing was the greatest country in the world that for some unexplainable reason I was so lucky to be born in.

I don't know how the transformation came about but somewhere somehow Republicans started talking more like Dems and Dems more like the GOP. I hardly recognize my party today.

Spreading democracy throughout the world used to be a Liberal Ideal. Harry Truman believed it and fought for it, John F. Kennedy believed it and fought for it. Nothing defined that once core Democratic belief than these words by John F. Kennedy at his 1961 inaugural. They are now on his gravesite inscription at Arlington National Cemetery:

Let every nation know
Whether it wishes us well or ill
That we shall pay any price - bear any burden
Meet any hardship - support any friend
Oppose any foe to assure the survival
And the success of liberty

Now the trumpet summons us again
Not as a call to bear arms
- though embattled we are
But a call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle
A struggle against the common enemies of man Tyranny - Poverty - Disease - and War itself

In the long history of the world
Only a few generations have been granted
The role of defending freedom
In the hour of maximum danger
I do not shrink from this responsibility
I welcome it

WOW!

Where are those Democrats today?

Many would say now they are called Neo-Cons. If thats true then count me as one of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home